I can do all things through Christ who strengths me. Philippians 4:13

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Perspective

Why, oh why, did my run stink today?? Was it the fact that I had done a gruelling leg workout the day before and my legs were screaming at me to stop? Could it have been the time of day?? I mean, normally I run at o'dark thirty when I've just rolled out of bed and am fresh, not at 2:30 in the afternoon when I've been awake for 8 hours, moving non-stop. Perhaps it was the fact that my music only lasted the first 5 minutes because I forgot to charge it. Whatever the reason, I just didn't have my mojo going on today and this run stunk!

As I was running to my intended destination, I was lamenting the fact that I just wanted to turn around and head for home. Waaaaa!! Can't you just hear me bellyaching as you read this? :o) However...I caught something out of the corner of my eye and decided to stop for a sec and check it out. Two teenagers were doing some crazy motocross stunts a bit down off the trail from me. It was fascinating to watch. No fear!! It was then I began to notice other things. The rain we've been blessed with these past few weeks had made the countryside the most vibrant green I have ever seen. Off in the distance were the most beautiful white, billowy clouds. The sun hit them just perfectly. Cotton candy I thought...they reminded me of cotton candy. I saw horses playing in a pasture, an amazing barn colored many different shades of red, a windmill in the yard of an old farmhouse...you get the picture. It was glorious and I got to be apart of it. Wow!!

I started back on my run thinking how thankful I was that I got the chance to be out on such an amazingly, beautiful day. I realized that without my music blaring in my ears, I could hear the birds chirping and the wind blowing in the tall grasses next to the trail. The sun shining on my back was a nice treat from the cold, dreary, sometimes foggy mornings I'm used to. I was even thankful for my rubbery legs...they were helping me go places and experience new things. It's amazing what a little perspective can do towards changing our attitude.

I finished my hill repeats and ran back to the car with my newfound attitude of gratitude. I was thankful I didn't listen to my negative self, turn around and go home. What a wonderful, glorious day I would have missed! I guess my mojo wasn't off as bad as I thought. I just needed a little perspective.:o)

No comments:

Post a Comment